Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Herdsperson Farm 67991
The Herdsperson assists other Herd Technicians in routine animal
care and general farm tasks to ensure the welfare/well-being of the
animals. Tasks include farm sanitation, animal removal, and animal
movement. Employee may operate mowers, tractors, trucks, bus, and
other farm equipment as directed. May be in training for advanced
Herd Technician designation. The Herdsperson position will also
provide for the care of all animals at the designated work site,
particularly their health, growth, and breeding.
- Feeds, waters, vaccinates, and
performs general animal husbandry tasks including basic veterinary
- Maintains flexibility with a willingness to change plans
according to the direction of farm leadership.
- Assists in moving animals and maintaining efficient animal
- Sanitizes and washes multiple areas on the farm using high
- Processes piglets, which includes: Injecting medications,
castrating, docking tails, and ear notching.
- Maintains accurate production information and update all
department records as required.
- Treats sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by
injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
- Follows the Standard Operation Procedures, Production Manuals,
or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Assists with facility and equipment maintenance.
- Assists with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry
- Follows the Company's animal welfare policies and procedures
including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal's
needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed,
providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification
and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and
following the guidelines for euthanasia.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental, safety and
biosecurity laws and procedures. The above statements are intended
to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Previous livestock handing helpful.
- Ability to do hard physical labor.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility.
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized
- Must be able to work an average 48-hour work week, which can
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must be on call for emergency situations to include but not
limit to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and
ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or
feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and
talk or hear.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of
antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust,
odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. Also, education benefits available to full and part-time
Smithfield team members on their first day of employment
SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our culture
and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job related characteristic as
directed by law.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Wilmington , Herdsperson Farm, Other , Council, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!