Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Staff Nurse
Company: Freedom Staffing Services
Posted on: June 13, 2021
To assure quality nursing care for patient by following
physician's orders, state and federal regulations and this
Facility's policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions and Requirements:
Employee work shifts as scheduled. Must be willing to work other
variable hours when necessary.
- Assists in direction of nursing services for unit/hall, in
accordance with the Nursing Practice Act, and under the supervision
of a Registered Nurse.
- Delegates duties to professional nurses and non-professional
nursing personnel and monitoring work performance under the
supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Makes walking rounds at the beginning and end of shift while
receiving and/or giving report.
- Counts narcotics at beginning and end of shift, always
initializing the count sheet appropriately ascertaining accuracy of
- Checks Bowel Movement/E care dashboards to compile a laxative
and/or enema list.
- Performs fingersticks scheduled, gives oral hypoglycemics and
insulins per MD order.
- Administers all medications (oral, s.q., I.M., IV (if properly
trained)) as ordered by M.D. an according to Facility policies. May
administer up to 60 minutes before or after time ordered. Also,
administers (hangs) tube feeding as ordered by M.D. May start
I.V.'s as ordered, but only if trained to do procedure.
- Check critical or "sick" patients frequently and documents
findings, changes, etc. in Nurses Notes and notifies supervisor
and/or M.D. as necessary.
- Observes patients for symptoms and/or reactions, including
general physical and/or mental condition for signs, which may be
indicative of adverse change. Reports these to supervisor and/or MD
as necessary. Documents in nurses notes and places on charting list
and calendar. Also notifies patient's family as necessary of any
significant change in patient's condition.
- Completes required documentation according to Documentation
policies and procedures.
- Completes incident reports and calls physician if needed.
- Completes monthly summary for each patient following the
- Admits new patients, completing the following: Nurses Admission
Record, Nurses Notes, (as appropriate), status change slip, dietary
requisition, taking off orders, and checking MAR's.
- Transfers and/or discharges patients when ordered by
- Assists physicians with rounds as needed.
- Drapes, remains with and cares for patients during MD rounds,
physical examinations, and treatments as necessary.
- Notifies MD of any error in administering medication should
- Documents PRN medications and also the effectiveness or lack of
effectiveness appropriately on PRN sheet.
- Performs treatments scheduled during shift and documents
- Monitors specific skin tears and/or other skin conditions and
documents at least weekly or more often if warranted.
- Assists with post-mortem care and provides emotional support
for families as needed.
- Cleans and restocks medication and treatment carts every
- Orders medications from pharmacy as needed, checks medications
when received and places in medication carts, following Facility
procedures. Counts, documents on return sheet, and returns
medication to pharmacy as needed.
- Obtains and signs for supplies as needed.
- Completes requisitions for dietary requests and/or maintenance
repairs as needed.
- Obtains lab specimen ordered.
- Maintains infection control measures as necessary.
- Assists in ensuring availability of supplies and equipment.
Assesses needs for additional equipment or repair and maintenance
of current equipment.
- Assists with Infection Control for unit/hall. Adheres to all
regulations pertaining to cleanliness, infection control, and
- Assists with research related to the quality of nursing care,
- Assists with records, orders, and assessment of new admissions
unit/hall. Assists with assuring the initial Nursing Assessment is
completed within 24 hours of admission and initiates Patient Care
- Periodically reviews Care Plans and makes recommendations for
change in care as needed.
- Attends Quality Assurance meetings when assigned. Completes
Quality Assurance monitors as assigned to unit/hall monthly and
submits findings and averages at least two days prior to Quality
Assurance meeting. Follows up when needed of concerns or problems
found through Quality Assurance.
- Assists with monitoring and measuring decubiti weekly and
completing Integument Watch records accurately.
- Serves on other committees as needed or assigned.
- Works directly with other departments to implement needs for
the unit/hall and needs of patients on the unit/hall.
- Reports any possible performance issues by employees within the
facility to the RN for determination if disciplinary action is
required. May be asked by the RN to send an employee home for the
remainder of the shift if the RN determines that further
investigation is needed. May document the performance concern on
the appropriate form for review and use by the RN in the
- Assists with lab requests as ordered per Facility policy using
appropriate techniques. Responsible for reporting laboratory work
as ordered on unit, reviewing results, and notifying attending
physician when deemed necessary.
- Assists with emergencies arising while on duty. Performs CPR if
needed. Assists with emergencies on other units if needed.
- Assists with notifying attending physician of emergencies and
death of patients in the unit. Implements orders of changes in
orders as instructed or ordered by physicians.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Keywords: Freedom Staffing Services, Wilmington , Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Staff Nurse, Other , Southport, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!