Location: Castle Hayne
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Elementis offers performance-driven additives that help create
innovative formulations for consumer and industrial markets,
including Personal Care, Coatings, Chromium, Energy and Talc.
Finding opportunities to enhance our customers' performance is at
the heart of what we do-and has been for more than 175 years. We
own unique raw materials, including the only high-grade hectorite
mine in the world, and a leading source of high-purity talc. With
our advanced technical solutions, we transform those materials to
become innovative, performance-enhancing products for our
customers. Elementis is a UK-listed global specialty chemicals
company with operations worldwide and employs over 1,600 people at
more than 30 locations worldwide.
Job Description Summary
Monitor, operate, and report upon responsible area of Castle
Hayne's Chromium chemical manufacturing process.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Fully knowledgeable in and routinely applies all company and
applicable regulatory HSE standards, practices, and
- Responsible to remove equipment from service, prepare, secure,
lock out, and establish permits for maintenance of equipment in
area of responsibility.
- Responds to emergencies by taking appropriate operational
actions, such as shutting down the process whenever necessary.
- Responsible to alert supervision and/or security of any
- Shovels debris, picks up and disposes stray materials, etc.
Responsible for using good housekeeping practices.
- Reports all incidences immediately
- Develop a basic understanding of the Castle Hayne Chromium
manufacturing process and a detailed understanding of the
responsible area's process. Understands the implication of
operational decisions and actions.
- Communicates with other operating areas (Evaporation,
Wastewater Treatment, Recycle, Chromic acid, etc) and understands
the interaction between these operating areas and your responsible
- Reads and acts upon daily area operating instructions.
- Provides feedback to supervision on operational issues, related
to process conditions, improvement ideas, operational instructions,
- Provide shift change relief. Communicate effectively with other
personnel regarding operational conditions at time of shift
- Conducts hourly (minimal requirement) tours of manufacturing
area to ensure good operating condition of all equipment. Identify
and resolve mechanical and/or process-related issues. Checks
levels, temperatures, pressures, etc. Communicates findings to
- Collects and analyzes process samples. Records results on
- Works regularly assigned shifts and provides a fair and
equitable to peers' amount of overtime coverage for co-worker
absences, illnesses, vacations, holidays, etc.
- Must be able to complete physical aspects of job, including
climbing stairs, climbing ladders, operating valves, motors,
- Additional duties and responsibilities as defined by
- Sets high standards for self and others; actively follows
procedures, suggests ways for improvements; regularly checks
operating key measures.Takes individual responsibility for tasks;
providing full support to others, gives help and assistance
readily. Keeps self and others informed about changes to plant and
equipment: Open to try new ideas and suggestions and learn from
these. Seeks opportunities to learn and extend knowledge level,
supports learning from other members of the team.
Self Directing - Continuous Improvement
- Pursues effective safe shift change over, takes time to get
understanding of others, prepares to listen to views of
others.Sound knowledge of the process and can predict outcomes,
demonstrates care for the plant and equipment, persistent in
getting things done with ability to prioritize activities.Keeps
self updated on plant conditions; anticipates problems and changes;
organizes and plans his/her part of the process keeping others
- Ability to identify causes and effects in problem situations,
gathers information to diagnose and assess current situation,
clarifying and defining problems.Confronts situations, reacting
quickly and effectively in emergency situations, reflects on root
cause to learn from experience.Knows the production process in ones
area and how it affects other parts of the site.Anticipates
problems, as a result, minimize "fire fighting" approach.
- Records observations of process conditions, changes, analytical
results, etc. on prescribed schedule.
- Product must meet certain specifications (quality standards).
The operator is responsible for keeping the product(s) within
specification within the limitations of the parameters within
his/her personal control.
- Cooperates with any co-worker, supervisor, maintenance worker,
etc. to guarantee safe, efficient operation and maintenance of your
responsible area; Also with operators, etc. in other operating
- Walking or standing most of the day, with some
sitting.Frequently bends/stoops, squats, crawls, reaches above
shoulder, kneels, and balances.Must be able to climb ladders,
stairs frequently throughout the day (multiple flights/ multiple
times).Must be able to carry/lift up to 50 pounds.The hands and
fingers are frequently used for pushing/pulling, simple and firm
grasping.Occasionally for fine manipulation.Employee must
occasionally use the head and neck in a static position, and for
rotational, flexing and extension movements.Must be able to
evacuate unassisted in an emergency.Must be able to wear a
- Employee's activities occur both inside and outside.There is
exposure to extreme temperatures, moisture, humidity and loud
noise.Gases, dusts, odors, fumes and mists associated with normal
chemical plant operation may be present.In production areas,
employee must wear company-supplied protective equipment such as a
hard hat, safety glasses, respirator, gloves, slicker and
- Must pass company-supplied training program within normal
timeframe in order to maintain employment.
- 12 hour rotating shift work is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- High school or equivalent required, some post secondary work
- , math, written language and memory abilities are essential to
performing this job. Makes evaluations based on measurable or
verifiable criteria. Relates to others in situations involving
cooperation and teamwork. Performs repetitive or continuous tasks
which have set procedures. Performs under stress when confronted
with emergency or critical situations. Performs under set limits,
tolerances or standards. Adaptable to variety of duties.
The above is a general description of the essential job
functions for the position of Chemical Operator. The description
provided is not necessarily inclusive of all essential functions
and does not include all duties, responsibilities and obligations
of an employee in the position of Chemical Operator. Duties,
responsibilities, obligations and functions of one's job can and
will, as necessary, change as required by business necessity.
Elementis Chromium employees will be evaluated in their job
performance based on all aspects and functions of their position
whether or not specifically identified herein.
Additional Job Description
Keywords: Elementis, Wilmington , Chemical Operator, Other , Castle Hayne, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!